sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Compile Time Tracking Idea

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis+smdiscuss AT shlrm.org>
  • To: Source Mage - Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Compile Time Tracking Idea
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:28:03 -0500

This struck me while I was installing j2sdk on one of my b0x3n.

Could sorcery track how long it takes to install/compile programs?

I did 'time cast -c j2sdk' just because I wanted to know how long it would
take,
then the blood in my caffeenstream decided that it might be a cool thing if on
the Source Mage web page one could find out how long it takes to compile a
program. It could be tracked and submitted automatically, via cast itself when
it runs. Or perhaps a better idea would be to create a SM-stats package with a
couple of scripts and a crontab to import so that the stats are automagically
submitted. I don't know a whole lot about bash scripts (I'm more into Java)
but
I think this could be done. It doesn't take up much resources, if sorcery can
use the time command, that is. I don't pretend to know how to parse the output
of the time command into something else, at least not from bash, so this is
more
of a suggestion to anyone that feels like taking it on. I also don't know how
hard it would be to add to the current sorcery suite of scripts. If it's too
difficult, then let it go. It's not a big deal, I just thought it would be
pretty cool/handy to go to the web page and look up how long it usually takes
for
an Athlon XP 2300+ to compile XFree86.

I hope I haven't made anyone's head explode through the reading of this. :)

find ~your -name '*base* | xargs chown :us