sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Usability study for spell look-ups

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Joel Sinor <jsinor AT comcast.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Usability study for spell look-ups
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:45:29 -0500

I have so far found that browsing with ls or using find (sometimes
piping to xargs grep) is faster to find what spell does what. It would
be nice if gaze provides or something similar could tell you the answer
to the question "I do not have the xxx command. What spell do I cast to
get one?" or "I do not have package xxx. What spell do I cast to get
that?"
Esentially I generally use find and grep to see if there is a spell
explicitly named what I am looking for and if not I xargs grep the
DETAILS files in the grimoire. When that fails I start hunting for
stuff that looks similar.