sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel compile problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: Rene Schneider <r_schneid AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel compile problems
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 04:44:05 -0700 (PDT)

grsecurity is a big patch and tends to break others. Other big patches
are like this as well. I believe the ptrace patch is in grsecurity also.
The one that most looks like it may collide with grsecurity is acpi,
though. Maybe try it without acpi and then decide which one you don't
need most? Generally speaking a public server will want grsecurity
instead of acpi and a laptop/desktop the other way around, I would
expect, so it's not so bad that you can't mix everything so easily.

Also, I would expect some errors to appear in the PRE_BUILD stage if the
patches have a hard time figuring out where they go as each patch
is applied. Of course, the best test is to actually compile and run it.

About the symbols below not resolving, maybe you want to clear that module
out as it is from an old compile. If you are sure this is the case, then
go ahead and delete that module. It could always be something other than
that though. Somebody else might know better.