sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel compile problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Rene Schneider <r_schneid AT gmx.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Kernel compile problems
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 11:56:22 +0100

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 1:09 am, Rene Schneider wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2003 00:18 schrieb Eric Sandall:
> > Did you try 'cast -r -c linux'?
>
> aehm, not before. I guess I was wrong in the assumption that after
> doing a "cast linux" with selecting things, but where strangely no
> compiling or configuration happened, I should go to /usr/src/linux
> and configure ... compile as usual. BTW, why is that wrong (I'm still
> new to SMGL)?
>
> However, now I did this and got further. It looks like the linking
> fails (see bottom).
>
> > What selections did you make (ACPI, XFS,
> > CK, etc.)? Which kernel version are you trying to compile?
>
> 2.4.20, patches: acpi, cryptoapi, grsecurity, hashdos, ptrace, sm

Now I noticed the undefined references all started with gr_. So I
started again without the grsecurity patch and it compiled
succesfully. Is this patch something one should have?

Thanks to Worf for the hint via email.

depmod reports unresolved references. is this normal? eg:
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
/lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/char/amd768_rng.o
depmod: misc_register_Rsmp_669d8ab3
depmod: misc_deregister_Rsmp_41084d42

are these things that are in the kernel itself or is something going
wrong?

Rene