sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: Is Perforce server down?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Re: Is Perforce server down?
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:45:31 -0700 (PDT)

Sergey A. Lipnevich said:
> Cool. What's EVMS? Do we have a spell for it ;-)?
>
> Tony Smith wrote:
>
>>It's up now. Must've just caught it during its backup. I take the server
>>down briefly at that time to get a nice clean snapshot. One day I'l put
>>EVMS on the box and then I can do filesystem snapshots and back it up
>> that
>>way. I don't have enough spare disk for that at the moment.

http://evms.sourceforge.net/

We do not have a spell yet, but I've been thinking about working on it
(disk maintainer, after all ;)). Last I checked, it requires kernel
patches as Linus doesn't want/hasn't had time to put it in.

Tony, perhaps that's why it goes down for me sometimes too? :) I thought
it was backups, but wasn't quite sure.

Any ideas about why the tarball only has some of the grimoires? Does the
backup only "lock" what files it's currently doing and about to do (i.e.
hasn't done yet), or does it "lock" the whole repository during the entire
backup?

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61