sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Wireless SMGL

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT sourcemage.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Wireless SMGL
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 12:13:25 -0700 (PDT)

>From charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu Wed Apr 16 15:43:42 2003
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 14:43:40 -0500 (CDT)
From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
To: Eric Womack <eric AT sourcemage.com>
Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Wireless SMGL

I have no problems with 802.11b on my laptop. I'm using a Netgear MA401
which is also an orinoco. From what I understand, if PCMCIA support is
enabled in the kernel, then the pcmcia-cs package will NOT produce any
drivers, these need to be built by the kernel. This is how I've done it,
and things work fine. You may need to adjust the /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts
to set your ESSID, though "ANY" is the default and works fine for me on
a few different networks (all with different ESSID's).

The other option is to disable PCMCIA support in the kernel, and then
pcmcia-cs supposedly will produce drivers. I haven't tried this, but may
be preferred since the release cycle for pcmcia-cs is probably much faster
than stable kernel releases!

I recently discovered some patches for the orinoco driver which allow the
chipset to be placed in "monitor" mode, though the most recent seems to be
against pcmcia-cs-3.2.1. The page also includes links to various firmware
versions.

http://airsnort.shmoo.com/orinocoinfo.html

-casey