sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Xfree86 4.3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Xfree86 4.3
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 20:15:01 -0800 (PST)

Robin Cook said:
> So do we still need Xft2 etc or are those now in X?
>
> When will it be in devel grimoire... *grin*
>
> CuZnDragon
> Robin Cook

The short ChangeLog (RelNotes) states:

# The Xft library has undergone a major restructuring, and is now split
into fontconfig (which deals with font discovery and configuration and is
independent from X), and Xft itself (which uses fontconfig and deals with
font rasterisation and rendering. The format of the Xft font configuration
files has changed in an incompatible manner.
# Support has been added to the Xft library to do rendering with the core
X11 protocol. This allows clients using this library to render to X
servers that don't have support for the RENDER extension.

They don't mention whether the Xft library is independent of X (as they do
for fontconfig), but I assume (yeah, I know) that it will work as it does
now, using our Xft/Xft2 libraries for rendering.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214