sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Here we go again....

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • To: Sergey A Lipnevich <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Here we go again....
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:57:32 +0000

Hello Sergey,

SAL> I didn't mean to insult, I merely observed what's happening.

What you think is happening...

SAL> you have changed the list from SM-Grimoire to SM-Discuss (why?),

That was accidental. Sorry guys..

SAL> but didn't change the subject (why?),

Same reason.

SAL> and didn't read prior messages under the same subject (why?).

I did read them. I typically get about 300 emails a day. Remembering
every single detail of every single message is just not feasible. The
impression I got from the thread was that most knew what the problem
was and why it was occuring but there were a few still with problems
that weren't so obvious. Hence my post...

SAL> Your message that warranted this remark contained questionable solution
SAL> to a different problem, and not the right solution to the original
SAL> problem, which has been beaten to death.

All I intended was to point out that incorrect kernel headers can
cause problems like those seen (I know because I had them), and that
if some were still getting the problem when others weren't then this
could be a contributing factor. I did state quite clearly that "This
may be wrong" ...

I certainly never intended my post to be a solution to anything. At
best it is a temporary workaround until SourceMage starts handling the
kernel headers the way the kernel docs recommend.

Help for all? No.

Help some? Maybe.

Bringing a key issue to light? Definately.

I figured it was worth a post.

SAL> I get all the lists in one mail folder and don't look which
SAL> message comes from which list.

Except to catch me out eh? 8-)

SAL> I know the lists are not searchable and not even in Google, but
SAL> making a noble effort to help other please extend it to searching lists
SAL> beforehand anyway.

I knew that kernel header problem hadn't really been detailed before.
I'd mentioned it in passing once before but that was it. A search of
the 10,247 SourceMage / Sorcery (yes I have archives that far back)
messages on my system confirms that.

I don't think the fix is as simple as a question asked during the
linux spell to confirm you want the headers. Remember I want
SourceMage to fully support cross-compilation, binary installs, full
dependancies; which really needs two sets of dependancies to do
properly (build (host) & runtime (target)); automatic hardware
configuration and so on..

With the current structure, it would be very difficult, if not
impossible to use Sorcery for say embedded systems development.

Having said that, SourceMage is still the closest system to what I
need and I'd prefer to help bring it to this ideal rather than
starting from scratch. But if the only way to get the distribution I
need is to go solo and make it myself, that can be done, it'll just
take me longer..

But considering the time I spend explaining myself from time to time
here, maybe not that much longer ;-)

One of the original design points of Sorcery that attracted me was the
"assume nothing" statement. Somewhere along the line, this seems to
have been lost.

--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com