sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Request for comment: Cast is pretty slow...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: snakebyte / Eric Sesterhenn <snakebyte AT gmx.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Request for comment: Cast is pretty slow...
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:49:28 +0100

Hi,

I get the feeling that doing a cast is getting slower...
When trying to cast a spell, that does not even exists, it takes
aboult half a minute ( ok, this is worst case scenario ):

root@alice:/# date; cast xxxxx ; date
Tue Dec 10 00:31:58 CET 2002
xxxxx is not a spell!
Tue Dec 10 00:32:32 CET 2002

I think the problem here is, that the libcodex module does a recursive
ls on the entire codex. Maybe it would be good to place some kind of
database in the codex directory, which contains names and paths for all
the spells like:

archive/afio:
archive/amanda:
archive/arc:

then one could easily do grep "{$SPELLNAME}:", to check if it exists,
and even known where it is instantly. This would just require changes in
the libcodex module and to the scripts generating the hourly codex
updates afaik. Should reduce the time from 30 seconds to ~2 or 3 I
assume.

In my opinion this is not a feature request, but some kind of
bugfix idea for this pretty annoying thing :)

Sadly I am not much into bash to do this myself, but maybe someone more
familiar with the libcodex can spend some time on this?

cu Eric

--
www.snake-basket.de -- just my stuff