sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comment: Cast is pretty slow...

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: snakebyte / Eric Sesterhenn <snakebyte AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Request for comment: Cast is pretty slow...
  • Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:11:32 -0500 (EST)

Another possiblity is to use slocate. The tool exists to serve
this purpose. It would just require a quick updatedb for the grimoires
after a scribe update. The downside of any indexing is that if you add a
spell on your system, cast won't find it until you update the index. Most
people don't update grimoires manualy, so this isn't a problem for most.

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, snakebyte / Eric Sesterhenn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I get the feeling that doing a cast is getting slower...
> When trying to cast a spell, that does not even exists, it takes
> aboult half a minute ( ok, this is worst case scenario ):
>
> root@alice:/# date; cast xxxxx ; date
> Tue Dec 10 00:31:58 CET 2002
> xxxxx is not a spell!
> Tue Dec 10 00:32:32 CET 2002
>
> I think the problem here is, that the libcodex module does a recursive
> ls on the entire codex. Maybe it would be good to place some kind of
> database in the codex directory, which contains names and paths for all
> the spells like:
>
> archive/afio:
> archive/amanda:
> archive/arc:
>
> then one could easily do grep "{$SPELLNAME}:", to check if it exists,
> and even known where it is instantly. This would just require changes in
> the libcodex module and to the scripts generating the hourly codex
> updates afaik. Should reduce the time from 30 seconds to ~2 or 3 I
> assume.
>
> In my opinion this is not a feature request, but some kind of
> bugfix idea for this pretty annoying thing :)
>
> Sadly I am not much into bash to do this myself, but maybe someone more
> familiar with the libcodex can spend some time on this?
>
> cu Eric

PGP public key at
http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3327A9A5
F1