sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery purists do not read! (fwd)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: The Well-Beloved Bard <dezmond AT bardicgrove.org>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] sorcery purists do not read! (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 07:19:25 -0800 (PST)

two quick responses below...

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Dufflebunk wrote:
{snip}
> > Before anyone gets on my back about this, I'm doing it as a learning
> > experience - I've nearly worn out my m, a & n keys. Though a few ideas
> > have come up that would be nice to have in sorcery.
> Why the HELL are you wasting your time with ... ;) hee hee
> Dare I ask: "m"?

heh. "m" as the first of the three-letter command "man"
+1 amusing

{snip}
> > produce a patched source directory. ua should even handle a
> > patch.tar.Z.gz.bz2 file properly if someone was daft enough to make
> > one. It's extensible to allow extra archive formats to be added
> > (I'm planning rpm & pkg at some point!) - the recursive part just adds
> > piped commands to a TEMPCMD variable to be eval'd at the end of the
> > top layer. The plan is that the bzip2 spell manages it's entry in the
> > ua command and so on..
> Hmm, interesting.
> As a side note isn't .Z the same as .gz?

Actually, no. .Z is the default extension for a "compress"ed file, which
was the standard compression on UNIX a long, long time ago, before .gz
came along with better compression ratios, before .bz2 came along with
(sometimes) even better compression ratios.

--
I remain, as always,
In service to His dream.