sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Init script error

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Init script error
  • Date: 22 Nov 2002 16:36:04 -0700

Folks,

I'm on sorcery devl and test grimoire.

I cast the init.d spell this morning. When i boot up now I get a big red
FAILED. Everything loads fine though. It's right after RieserFS
finishes it's business. Actually it's on the last line that decares the
RieserFs version and right b4 the localtime.sh is run. It happens in
all run levels. I'm pretty sure it's a problem in the mount.sh script.
I notice a few differences in my old file vs this new one.

in the new one, right after the if statement that reports a bad fsck we
see:

mount -n -o remount,rw /
echo > /etc/mtab
mount -f -o remount,rw /
echo "Mounting local filesystems..."
# Fixed so as to not mount networked filesystems yet (no networking)
# mountnfs.sh will take care of this.
mount -a -t nosmbfs,nonfs,noncpfs
evaluate_retval
rm -f /fastboot /forcefsck

in my old one I had:

echo "done."
mount -n -o remount,rw /
echo > /etc/mtab
mount -f -o remount,rw /
mount -a -F
rm -f /fastboot /forcefsck

The new one also includes that source statement (I'm no bash programmer
yet, but i assume that's just like an 'include'). The echo statement
doesn't matter

Notice that I had 2 mount statements in my old script. Could the mount
statement in the new script be causing a problem? Note that I have no
samba nfs or pfs (what's that?). Why is the first mount in my old file
a fake?

Anyone got any ideas? I could fiddle by exchanging mount statements I
suppose. I'm more interested in finding out what's causing the FAILED
message, so that someone else doesn't run in to it and panic.

I'll be out for the weekend and respond to any mesages by Tuesday.

Regards,

Bearcat