sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.2.5 -> 3.2.1 update probs / sorcery save_libraries

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: Sergey A Lipnevich <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: "Julian v. Bock" <julian AT openit.de>, Source Mage <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>, sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] glibc 2.2.5 -> 3.2.1 update probs / sorcery save_libraries
  • Date: 31 Oct 2002 10:55:37 -0500

I think lockexec at least should be compiled staticly... even as static
it should be very small.
There has been some talk of creating an smgl-recovery spell that would
create a /opt/recovery directory with things like a static bash or that
other shell that starts with B and has many programs included... I can't
remember the name.
Or perhaps just a recovery CD would be best.

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 10:42, Sergey A Lipnevich wrote:
> I didn't have time to understand how dynamic libraries work in Linux,
> but can some of these problems be cured by static compilation? It's not
> clear for me how, but if we have say static-bash will it save from
> ldconfig troubles?
>
> Julian v. Bock wrote:
>
> >Hi

> >SAL> Is there any way we can improve this? Will it help if ldconfig is
> >SAL> run at the end of the fragment that you attached?
> >
> >No. However, I just realized that we need to save the libraries
> >somehow since sorcery dispels glibc before the make install.
> >
> >It might work if the ld.so link is restored right after the make
> >install and another ldconfig is done. However, only major glibc
> >updates seem to be affected so we might want to leave things as they
> >are for now.
> >
> >Julian

> Get free mailbox 20 Mb at http://www.hotbox.ru

PGP public key at