sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] optional_depends descriptions?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] optional_depends descriptions?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:09:39 -0800 (PST)

> I'm not trying to come down on you, Eric, but I agree with Nick, and
> your previous post is a good example:
>
> optional_depends "Linux-PAM" \
> "--flag-for-swat" \
> "--flag-for-no-swat" \
> "for SWAT support"
>
> This is only useful for people who know what SWAT is and why one would
> want it. A better one liner might be: "to be able to configure SAMBA
> via a Web-based interface"
>
> There are many spells in the grimoire with worse definitions than the
> one you proposed:
>
> optional_depends "widget" "" "" "for widget support"
>
> This is almost totally useless. What does widget support get me? Why
> do I want it? Is widget support a good thing, or does it just take up
> hard drive space? I can't even make an educated guess, based on that
> information.
>
> I had a spell I cast a couple of weeks ago with several of those sorts
> of optional deps in there. I had no idea if I wanted the optional
> stuff or not. I didn't know what they were supposed to do to or for
> the spell I wanted to install. A little more verbage to clarify those
> optional deps is, IMO, A Good Thing(tm).
>
> Again, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just trying to shed a little
> light on the subject.

Jason,

Ahh, I see your point, though mine was aimed at something else. ;) Yes,
they need more descriptions, and I think ones like mine should be the
"bare minimum", however, my example was aimed at the way to enable things
like SWAT, or to give the option of not doing so.

With our powers combined, we are....ehh, yeah, anyway, both of us are
correct, since we we're talking about different things (because I missed
the what you were actually talking about ;)).

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214
Fingerprint=14C0 C194 163E 57CB 0F1B ED87 5C8D 199A 5A31 7214

Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux
Developer
eric AT sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://www.sandall.us/~sandalle | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU