sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] optional_depends descriptions?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jasonflatt AT wizard.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] optional_depends descriptions?
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:16:50 -0700

On Sunday 27 October 2002 01:34 am, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Nick Jennings said:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > One thing that really bugs me is having to answer y/n to an optional
> > dependancy of a spell I want, and I really don't know what the
> > particular dependancy enables/disables.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be usefull to have maybe a quick one liner description of
> > what this enables/disables for the spell in question?
> >
> > - Nick
>
> ? This is already done via optional_depends, as my previously posted
> example shows. Or do you mean something else?
>
> -One of Four
> a.k.a. sandalle

I'm not trying to come down on you, Eric, but I agree with Nick, and your

optional_depends "Linux-PAM" \
"--flag-for-swat" \
"--flag-for-no-swat" \
"for SWAT support"

This is only useful for people who know what SWAT is and why one would want
it. A better one liner might be: "to be able to configure SAMBA via a
Web-based interface"

There are many spells in the grimoire with worse definitions than the one you
proposed:

optional_depends "widget" "" "" "for widget support"

This is almost totally useless. What does widget support get me? Why do I
want it? Is widget support a good thing, or does it just take up hard drive
space? I can't even make an educated guess, based on that information.

I had a spell I cast a couple of weeks ago with several of those sorts of
optional deps in there. I had no idea if I wanted the optional stuff or not.

I didn't know what they were supposed to do to or for the spell I wanted to
install. A little more verbage to clarify those optional deps is, IMO, A
Good Thing(tm).

Again, I'm not trying to attack you. I'm just trying to shed a little light
on the subject.

--
Jason Flatt
Section maintainer for printer