sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ALSA and permissions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sergey A Lipnevich <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ALSA and permissions
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:28:40 -0400

Speakers ;-)?

Seriously, can you enable all permissions and see what's the difference?

Jonathan Evraire wrote:

Hi,
I feel stupid asking this, but since I can't seem to find the solution
on the Net...

This is off a clean install. I've got Gnome2 up and running and ALSA as
well. I even get the cute little startup sound... but only as root. I
used to get permission errors as my other users, but I added them to the
'audio' group and verified that /dev/dsp*, /dev/audio* and /dev/mixer* all
have g+rw access (and have "audio" group). Now my other users don't get
an error, but no sound either. I've verified the mixer setting for the
other users and they're fine (not muted, sufficiently high).

Any ideas?

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com