sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Phoenix 0.3

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Rob Helmer <robert AT namodn.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Phoenix 0.3
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:40:40 -0400

Sounds great. I wonder if I could get a job creating a GRE-based app ;-). Gecko and MRE are really great stuff, a little behind their time though, and here I'm really sad :-(.

Rob Helmer wrote:

Hello,

I don't think anyone answered this, sorry to dredge up an old thread :)

The Phoenix-only skin "Que" is the reason to have a Phoenix spell, of course :)
http://robert.namodn.com/images/phoenix_que.png

Serially though, Phoenix is much more of a seperation from the core Mozilla components than the Mozilla "browser only" is, the eventual goal is to have it use an installed Gecko Runtime Environment ( http://mozilla.org/projects/embedding/MRE.html ) rather than the user
having to have a big Mozilla installation for every Gecko/XUL-based app.

Phoenix is also a redesign of the browser front-end, and it's alot faster.
One of the ideas behind Phoenix is to strip out extraneous functionality
from the core browser as much as possible, and make it very easy
to add/enable/disable/remove add-ons ( like those from mozdev.org ).

Phoenix also lets you edit the toolbars and move the icons around,
which is neat. It has it's own skins too, although traditional Mozilla
browser skins and addons can be updated to support Phoenix very easily
( trickiest part is supporting uninstallation, most skins/addons don't
do this yet, Mozilla didn't provide a generic mechanism like Phoenix does ).

The current Mozilla browser is very hooked into alot of big components,
like the editor/composer stuff, and it doesn't have very clean hooks to
external applications. Phoenix doesn't yet, but hopefully will soon.

Eventually there will probably need to be a GRE and XRE ( XUL runtime
env. ) spell that Phoenix and Thunderbird ( the standalone mail client ) depend on, and Galeon/Skipstone/etc can just depend on GRE and not need the
whole Mozilla, and it'll be much easier to make standalone XUL/XPCOM
applications. And, a stupid browser plugin crash won't crash your
mail client anymore ( if you use Mozilla mail ) :)

--
Rob