sm-discuss - Re[6]: [SM-Discuss] GCC Targets

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • To: Ryan Abrams <rabrams AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re[6]: [SM-Discuss] GCC Targets
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:51:16 +0100

Hello Ryan,

Saturday, October 5, 2002, 7:56:51 PM, you wrote:

RA> I am hoping you will actively work to make sure your code is of
RA> use, instead of letting people figure out how to use/integrate it
RA> later.

I thought I was 8-) The misunderstanding was probably caused by the
speed with which cpudetect evolved. On Friday I posted that I wouldn't
be working on the code until this week. So I did intend Saturday's
post to be an overview of my plan so that people could suggest any
changes before I begin doing any more coding. I should have realised
that with the amount of posts here that this link could be missed.
Sorry everyone!

RA> If you start building a bridge from both sides and hope to match up in
RA> the middle, it's best to communicate beforehand.

I didn't do this in the way you expected for two reasons.

1) sorcery 1.0 is feature frozen.

2) I'd already pointed out that multiple grimoires allowed me to
follow my own path and see where it went, and that hopefully a lot of
what I did would be applicable to sorcery.

I've always stated that I consider SourceMage to be a distro for
distro builders. Every SA is in effect someone who builds a very
specific distro for each machine they administer. Fact is that my
needs include being able to produce a binary distro from my
development machine. I truly believe that the following commands
should be supported by sorcery 2

cast -target dreamcast games_iso
cast -target i586-vga install_iso
cast -target i386-vga firewall_install_iso
cast -target local rescue_iso

Maybe the syntax would be different (cauldron?) but it is the base
functionality to provide a hardware information system that can handle
this, that I am working on.

RA> I was trying to get you to get in touch with the gcc maintainer
RA> and sorcery team _before_ you proceed, instead of simply posting
RA> your plans and hoping they contact you.

I understand that, but reasoned that they were generally busy working
on getting 1.0 ready. I tried to keep my communications to the minimum
that would keep people informed about where things were going, yet
give them the chance to shout if I was obviously off course.

Due to the nature of the project (requiring cat /proc/cpuinfo's) I
thought at this stage it was ideal for all those users who say "I
can't program in bash, what else can I do to help" to have a way to
contribute. And I very much appreciate their help, I would still be
collecting cpuinfo's and have no working code if it wasn't for them
and everyone else who emailed or wiki'd their cpuinfo's. Thanks All!

I could really do with some more powerpc / mac one's if anyone knows
where to get some ;-)

The cpudetect code I am working on will eventually support all the
architectures and processors that gcc does. I'm not aware of any other
attempts to do this, and I can clearly see a path to doing it
successfully. It would actually take longer to describe this path than
it would to walk it.

But, all said and done, I'm writing a bash script that outputs a text
file. There's not a lot to be incompatible with any future plans. The
only point that could prove awkward is the format of the information
in the text file. Hence why I posted it for discussion, maybe I got a
bit carried away in describing my code, but I'm excited by how it's
going.

RA> I don't want to spiral into a technical discussion of /how/ it
RA> works, as that is not my interest at the moment. My interest is
RA> that all involved parties are actively kept involved in the process.

Mine too. Though I'd say "interested parties" - never know if we have
a gcc expert lurking somewhere that may have better ideas than any of
us on how to do this.

RA> In the future, if you think I am being harsh or something, just ask
RA> before digging in. I am rarely harsh on purpose. But i do tend to dig
RA> my heels in as well. This can lead to long, drawn out, pointless
RA> battles. And I don't like them much.

It might have been a little silly but I don't think it was pointless.
I know I got some useful infomation from it, and I'd hope others did
to. I saw it as a clarifaction not a battle, sorry if my sense of
humour was used inappropriately and gave you any other impression.

--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com

PS: Were you being harsh when you said that SourceMage will never
support binary installs? I just can't help myself at times ;-)