sm-discuss - Re[4]: [SM-Discuss] GCC Targets (StrongARM relevance)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re[4]: [SM-Discuss] GCC Targets (StrongARM relevance)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 04:09:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Mark Andrews wrote:

> I think I've covered this once or twice already. But just in case:
>
> 1) My message was a heads up for the gcc maintainer and interested
> parties that what I was doing might affect what they are doing.
>
> 2) The libvariables is part of cpudetect not sorcery. However it
> may be suitable for use in a future version of sorcery. Again a heads
> up for the team to see if it is of use to them.

OK, I have issue with this. If you wrap the target compilation into gcc,
I hope this will not break cross-platform distributed compilation.

I know you could get around this by having you pick arch specs on cast
gcc, but have it apply to all casts on that machine.

But if you make it apply to all compiles directly, cross-platform
distributed compilation would break.

And I'd really like to have this feature.

You see, there have been some requests for a StrongARM port, and since I
actually do have a StrongARM processor on a Sharp Zaurus I was going to
undertake this. Debian has a Zaurus/strongARM port going on and none of
the other source-based distros do have one, so I was going to build a rom
updater with pure source-based builds (this would eliminate the SD drive's
viability, since it is proprietary for now .. there is still a CF drive,
too). And then I would make a routine that could update the ROM, etc,
etc.

I'm not finished looking into all the viabilities of the project, but I
thought it would be good just to know if it were possible to rebuild a
Zaurus on sourcemage. At least getting the sorcery spell-management
system working on it would be a good first step that I know is possible.
Could even add embedded Qt to it as well.

So I should at least ask how this implementation will work?

I haven't really been following this conversation, so I hope I haven't
missed anything related to this.

Seth Woolley

P.S. Oadae asked about the port
http://forums.sourcemage.org/posting.php?mode=reply&t=67
which prompted me to start this project. Sandalle also mentioned he
might buy a Zaurus if I could get it working :)

And on top of that, one of my clients really wants to use the Zaurus in
his warehouse to do barcoding and order picking, so I think that can be an
excust to work on this.

Also I distributed compiler caches would ne nice so the remote compiling
machines wouldn't need to recompile everything over and over.