sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] another gnome2 little trouble

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] another gnome2 little trouble
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:40:37 +0200

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 07:14:51AM -0400, alvaro wrote:
> I lost some of the gnome icons !
> here's how, hope someone can explain to me what happened!
>
> xchat2 was segfaulting, so i dispelled and casted xchat. I was inside KDE
> at
> the time.
>
> xchat is not in the grimoire anymore, but it was still in the cache. In the
> process, a few things got dispelled (why?), in particular gnome-panel and
> gnome-session.
>
> I was the told how to solve the xchat issue, so i dispelled xchat and
> casted
> xchat2 again. I'm still in kde.
>
> since the dispelling of gnome-session was wierd, i logged into gnome. And
> it
> doesnt start gnome2. Whatever i got into looked exactly like gnome1.4
> (including sawfish wm)
>
> i exited X, casted gnome-session and gnome-desktop, start gnome again. Now
> it
> starts gnome2, metacity, etc. But the gnome-terminal and exit-session icons
> are gone and i get error messages accordingly.
> It turns out that gnome-terminal is missing!, so i cast gnome-terminal,
> cast
> the desktop-profile again. Then i log into gnome, the terminal is there,
> but
> the exit-session the gnome (foot) and a world icon are missing (at least
> those).
> I'm also getting a few things broken on a cast --fix
> gnomexmms is broken
> later it dispels once more gnome-session/panel/terminal...
>

> I dont think this qualifies as a bug, since the xchat spell isnt there
> anymore... but yet, why does dispelling xchat2, and casting xchat would
> mess
> things so much?, libraries are supposed to be compatible.
I guess the problem is, xchat once depended on gnome-core (which should
have been gnome-libs) which conflicts with gnome-session/gnome-panel.
Probably the dependency on gnome-core is still in your
/var/state/sorcery/depends (that happened here so a sorcery rebuild
dispelled gnome2 and got me gnome1 back :)
I did edit /var/state/sorcery/depends and removed all lines which
mentioned gnome-core, that fixed it here.

As to the icons, i'm not sure, you could try recompiling the gnome2
stuff.

Hope this explains some of the weirdness you experienced :)

--
Arwed
aka alley_cat