sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] another gnome2 little trouble

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: alvaro <aepaz AT entelchile.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] another gnome2 little trouble
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 07:14:51 -0400

I lost some of the gnome icons !
here's how, hope someone can explain to me what happened!

xchat2 was segfaulting, so i dispelled and casted xchat. I was inside KDE at
the time.

xchat is not in the grimoire anymore, but it was still in the cache. In the
process, a few things got dispelled (why?), in particular gnome-panel and
gnome-session.

I was the told how to solve the xchat issue, so i dispelled xchat and casted
xchat2 again. I'm still in kde.

since the dispelling of gnome-session was wierd, i logged into gnome. And it
doesnt start gnome2. Whatever i got into looked exactly like gnome1.4
(including sawfish wm)

i exited X, casted gnome-session and gnome-desktop, start gnome again. Now it
starts gnome2, metacity, etc. But the gnome-terminal and exit-session icons
are gone and i get error messages accordingly.
It turns out that gnome-terminal is missing!, so i cast gnome-terminal, cast
the desktop-profile again. Then i log into gnome, the terminal is there, but
the exit-session the gnome (foot) and a world icon are missing (at least
those).
I'm also getting a few things broken on a cast --fix
gnomexmms is broken
later it dispels once more gnome-session/panel/terminal...

I dont think this qualifies as a bug, since the xchat spell isnt there
anymore... but yet, why does dispelling xchat2, and casting xchat would mess
things so much?, libraries are supposed to be compatible.

sorry for the long post