sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] lilo not running

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Michael Mikkelsen <mikk AT microbsys.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] lilo not running
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:39:28 -0700

I hope this is the right list to ask an install question:

the install for 701 goes fine. I get to 3G (of the install doc), do the halt
then restart. on boot-up I get the bios message to insert a boot disk.

lilo, for some reason, is not creating the MBR.

I can't seem to find a the step in the installation documentation that
mentions setting up lilo.

I rebooted with the cdrom, dropped to a shell (after "continue booting") and
ran:
lilo -M /devices/ide0/target0/lun0/disc
(that may not be completely accurate since I used the bash "tab" feature of
line completion to find the device (choosing 0 for buses/targets/luns)).

I also tried with part1 in place of disc.

Both result in the message "no active partition".

I'm sure that I'm just missing something obvious -- but I'm not familiar
enought with SMGL's install to figure it out. I was under the impression
that lilo or grub would automatically run after configuring the kernel. But
that doesn't seem to be the case.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

--