sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] lilo not running

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jasonflatt AT wizard.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] lilo not running
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:23:20 -0700

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 07:39 pm, Michael Mikkelsen wrote:
> I hope this is the right list to ask an install question:
>
> the install for 701 goes fine. I get to 3G (of the install doc), do the
> halt then restart. on boot-up I get the bios message to insert a boot
> disk.
>
> lilo, for some reason, is not creating the MBR.
>
> I can't seem to find a the step in the installation documentation that
> mentions setting up lilo.
>
> I rebooted with the cdrom, dropped to a shell (after "continue booting")
> and ran:
> lilo -M /devices/ide0/target0/lun0/disc
> (that may not be completely accurate since I used the bash "tab" feature of
> line completion to find the device (choosing 0 for buses/targets/luns)).
>
> I also tried with part1 in place of disc.
>
> Both result in the message "no active partition".
>
> I'm sure that I'm just missing something obvious -- but I'm not familiar
> enought with SMGL's install to figure it out. I was under the impression
> that lilo or grub would automatically run after configuring the kernel.
> But that doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA

By default, SMGL does not install to the MBR. I think there is a message to
that effect right before the kernel configure. You might try
/devices/discs/disc0/disc (which on my system equates to
/devices/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc) to see if that gives you your MBR
setup.

--
Jason Flatt
Section maintainer for printer