sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 2002-07-01 ISO problems (how?)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jasonflatt AT wizard.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 2002-07-01 ISO problems (how?)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 20:18:47 -0700

On Saturday 14 September 2002 09:52 am, Eric Sandall wrote:
> I don't know how people are having problems with the 2002-07-01 ISO
> (unless they try using XFS, then it doesn't work at all, anyways...) as I
> see this as our most stable release to date (besides the 2002-03-23 ISO
> ;)). I've installed 7 systems with this ISO (some of them repeatedly), 3
> of which were withing this month. All I did was the following:
>
> 1. Use the CD to boot and install SM (not using XFS)
> 2. Confirm the bootloader works and is setup correctly
> 3. Run 'sorcery' and select my options
> 4. Run 'sorcery update' (updates gcc and others)
> 5. Run 'sorcery rebuild' to recompile everything to use the new gcc 3.2
> and get rid of any non-optimized binaries from the ISO
> 6. Cast xfree86, WindowMaker, blackbox, and any other programs I want
> 7. I now have a working ISO
>
> As I said earlier, I've done this 3 times at work (P-233MMX, PII-300,
> PIII-550) and they're all running X now and chugging along happily. :)
>
> BTW, I keep mentioned XFS won't work, that's so that you don't waste your
> time. :) I've tried it several times as I've been wanting to try XFS for
> a while, but whenever compiling the kernel through the install process, I
> get a "bfs" error when compiling, even though I haven't selected the BFS
> option in the kernel config. Even if I select it I get the error, so I
> don't know what's wrong.
>
> -One of Four
> a.k.a. sandalle

I will have to agree that the 20020701 is one of the more stable and better
ISOs, and I will admit that for the most part (I had the same problem w/XFS,
but only tried once) it installs cleanly and fairly painlessly. I have setup
6 different partitions w/Source Mage, and all seem to be functioning
properly.

Where I have my problems, are doing the sorcery update. Especially when
major
things are shifting. I haven't been able to keep up w/wat's going on, so I
missed out on what to do when things don't work.

Fortunately I'm mostly back up and in operation, and I should be able to
resume my normal section maintenance duties soon (just as soon as I figure
out why my mouse doesn't work).

--
Jason Flatt
Section maintainer for printer