sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] 2002-07-01 ISO problems (how?)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: " Source Mage Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] 2002-07-01 ISO problems (how?)
  • Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:52:27 -0700 (PDT)

I don't know how people are having problems with the 2002-07-01 ISO
(unless they try using XFS, then it doesn't work at all, anyways...) as I
see this as our most stable release to date (besides the 2002-03-23 ISO
;)). I've installed 7 systems with this ISO (some of them repeatedly), 3
of which were withing this month. All I did was the following:

1. Use the CD to boot and install SM (not using XFS)
2. Confirm the bootloader works and is setup correctly
3. Run 'sorcery' and select my options
4. Run 'sorcery update' (updates gcc and others)
5. Run 'sorcery rebuild' to recompile everything to use the new gcc 3.2
and get rid of any non-optimized binaries from the ISO
6. Cast xfree86, WindowMaker, blackbox, and any other programs I want
7. I now have a working ISO

As I said earlier, I've done this 3 times at work (P-233MMX, PII-300,
PIII-550) and they're all running X now and chugging along happily. :)

BTW, I keep mentioned XFS won't work, that's so that you don't waste your
time. :) I've tried it several times as I've been wanting to try XFS for
a while, but whenever compiling the kernel through the install process, I
get a "bfs" error when compiling, even though I haven't selected the BFS
option in the kernel config. Even if I select it I get the error, so I
don't know what's wrong.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

eric AT sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org