sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: Problems trying to install (long)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: Problems trying to install (long)
  • Date: 08 Sep 2002 13:45:00 -0400

Hello,
I will intersperse my comments in the quote...

On Sun, 2002-09-08 at 08:36, sm-discuss-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
> From: Reapl Paratorn <reapl AT reapl.net>
> To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: [SM-Discuss] Problems trying to install (long)
> Date: 08 Sep 2002 22:35:28 +1000
>
> Hi ppl,
>
> I have been lurking on the lists for quite a while now and have just spent
> one of the most frustrating weekends out. Now I first installed SM ages ago
> just after the 1/7 Adam test iso went up and had no real problems to speak
> of. I havent used it for quite a while (due to work making me do MS.NET
> crap) so decided so start from a fresh install and see where things were at.
> So this is my experience since Friday night.
>
> The machine I am installing onto is a P4 1.7G, 512MB RAM, 64MB Radeon 7500,
> 40GB HD (25GB for WinDoze)... (does gcc2 compiles in under 30 minutes, so
> much nicer than my old PIII-700 i installed onto last time)
>
> Found 1/7 Adam iso and did install onto system. Install proceded fine. After
> base install was done, and setting options) the first thing I did was to run
> a sorcery update, and edit out the list so that only sorcery was being
> updated. (Dont ask me why i didnt use the menus).
>
> So when sorcery updated is asked me to track stable vs devel and I chose
> Stable. Then when I tried to run sorcery update again it wouldnt run. Seems
> that the DETAILS file was wanting a shell variable "$SORCERY-BRANCH" that
> was set in /etc/sorcery/local/depends/sorcery but never seemed to be sourced
> before the DETAILS file was read. I fixed this by just adding a source line
> into the DETAILS script at the start, yes a hack but it worked, now
> apparently I have sorcery 0.8.0.1

Yep, that's a know bug and I think it's been fixed... Nick?
Many bugs exist in stable that have been fixed in devel.

> So then I do sorcery update again, and it starts downloading the devel
> codex. So is this normal? I didnt answer any option about want to track the
> devel codex? Anyway I suppose I am quite happy with that, apart from would
> have been nice to be told that the stable sorcery will be using the devel
> codex or something to stop ppl like me wondering. User feedback is nice
> sometimes.

The new 0.8 sorcery scripts are only available to the devel grimoire.

> So, lots has changed, lets just do a full sorcery update, let it run and
> come back later when it is finished. Nice thought but it didnt finish. Seems
> that if you redo gcc3.1 to gcc3.2 you have to recompile bash otherwise
> depending on what the script does it will fail. Does this mean that the bash
> spell should have a dependancy on gcc so that it is picked up as needing
> recompile that it doesnt have?

I've noticed this too... Although the errors seem to only be concered
with vi and emacs stuff.

> But that was quite easy to handle compared to the next one. Now over the
> course of 3 more installs testing what package was macking it crash, it
> seems there is a problem with e2fsprogs when compiled under gcc3.2 I have
> tried with both the original spell as on the Adam Test ISO and also after an
> updated cast. Once I cast the e3fsprogs spell my file system would no longer
> mount correctly on boot. It would not turn off the read only settings so
> init would not occur. I tried using both ext3 and reiser as the file systems
> and it still occurred.

I don't know anything about this one and there's nothing on bugzilla. It
could also be a problem with the mount init script.

> Now to check that this was the problem I held the e2fsprogs spell and had no
> problems getting a full update safely (apart from the flex spell having
> wrong version)
>
> So now I have a running SourceMage system that is all up to date bar
> e2fsprogs. But i am loath to do a full rebuild because if a rebuild
> recompiles it it will break again. I just got through compiling and
> installing xfree86 and have it nicely up and running in 24-bit colour at
> 1400x1050 native LCD resolution. So...next step kde3 or gnome2..
>
> So I choose KDE3 purely cause I used it last time. So cast kde-profile and
> run through answering al lthe questions....then it just stops!!!!....cast
> gnome-2-desktop-profile does exactly the same thing....neither of them do
> any download of files nor compiling....I'm not on the system so I can't post
> the logs of the install. But my other issue was maybe I just entered some
> wrong options or something. So I tried doing cast -r -c
> gnome-2-desktop-profile, I assumed that this would start the whole process
> of asking me all those questions again, but no.....it just skips straight to
> the Build step which still doesnt do anything.

This is a know bug in the stable scripts. A stout refusal to cast
dependnancies. You can cast -r -c sorcery and track devel, then cast the
profile of your choice. You may or may not want to switch back to stable
after.

> So I have a loverly fast loading system that comes up into console quicker
> than windows can give me the hardware boot selection options, but I cant get
> KDE or Gnome to install????....
>
> So any help in getting KDE/Gnome installed would be good....
>
> And before anyone asks, no I havent put any of the issues in to bugzilla as
> I really really wasnt going to do that from lynx and I was too lazy to
> transfer any logs before I rebooted back into windows to send this.
>
> Well hope your weekend has been good.
>
> Reapl

I hope this helps.

PGP public key at
http://wwwkeys.ch.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x92B5D3F1

  • [SM-Discuss] Re: Problems trying to install (long), Dufflebunk, 09/08/2002