sm-discuss - Re: Re: [SM-Discuss] Old Posts and Init Scripts

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: ottuzzi AT infinito.it
  • To: nealbirch AT attbi.com
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Re: [SM-Discuss] Old Posts and Init Scripts
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:00:42 +0200 (CEST)

----- Original Message -----
From: "nealbirch" nealbirch AT attbi.com
To: ottuzzi AT infinito.it
Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent: Tue Aug 20 01:14:51 CEST 2002
Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Old Posts and Init Scripts

> ottuzzi AT infinito.it wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > 3 or 4 days ago I finished my tmpfs space moving data here and there and
> > when I
> >shutdown the system I had an error telling that memory was finished
> and that
> > init was killed.
> >
> > The only solution was to poweroff the system.
> >

> Not sure what you mean here.

OK, sorry for not being very clear.

Actually I'm on a windows box so I cannot be more clear but the story is
something like this:

In shutdown scripts when it is time to unmount the tmpfs, it seems to me that
the scripts try to move data from swap to memory or something similar (in
short there is a massive data transfer).

Some time ago someone posted a modified script that first deletes all the
data in tmpfs (as they will be not useful anymore after a reboot) and then
unmount the tmpfs.

If you do not do this and unmount the swap first, the system try to move the
data from tmpfs (SWAP+memory) to PC memory only. If you have 256MB Ram and
300MB of temporary data in tmpfs then you are in trouble. First the system
tries to move everything from tmpfs to ram (many seconds) and then when you
finish your system memory...

I hope this is clearer.

Thank you for your attention .-)
Apiero