sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] inaccessible sites

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Tobias Marx <tmarx AT digitalprojects.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] inaccessible sites
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 20:11:19 +0200

hi,

i've recently had some problems while loading particular sites, galeon
would just said: "Connection refused" (eg. www.shortnews.de, but also
some spell sites (what led to problems during some casts)).
first i thought it was a problem with my dsl provider and their proxy,
but after doing some additional research on the web, i've found the real
cause. it is as "faulty" kernel setting.
if you experience equal problems check "IP: TCP Explicit Congestion
Notification support" under "Networking options". Some faulty firewalls
will cause trouble when it is enabled. You can disable it at runtime
with: echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn.

maybe my experiences will help some people sometimes. :)

bye,
Tobias