sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Security flaw in SunRPC XDR libraries

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Security flaw in SunRPC XDR libraries
  • Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 17:32:47 +0000 (UTC)

"There is a buffer overflow in the "xdr_array" function in the Sun
library, and therefore in the numerous libraries derived from it that
other vendors have implemented in their applications. The consequences of
a successful exploitation of the vulnerability could vary widely depending
on the affected application, but will range from disclosure of sensitive
information to remote execution of code, according to an advisory
published Tuesday by the CERT/CC Coordination Center at Carnegie Mellon
University in Pittsburgh."

CERT: http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2002-25.html

Are we affected? Can we easily become unaffected by patching the
affected libraries and recompiling everything?

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com