sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] tmpfs

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew Stitt <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] tmpfs
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:07:10 -0700

i tested out compilations with and without tmpfs on my computer using
the modified subroutines file i sent in earlier. I compiled mozilla,
with time cast -c mozilla and with tmpfs, and ext2. the system had
basically the same user load for both compiles (me checking email and
playing nethack). Heres what i got:

time cast -c mozilla

with tmpfs:
real 52m4.890s
user 48m9.340s
sys 3m9.450s

with ext2:
real 53m50.244s
user 48m9.410s
sys 3m20.190s

notice the almost identical user time, and increased sys time in the
ext2 case....

the machine in question has a p4 1.4 ghz processor, 256mb of physical
ram and a 512 mb swap partition, and of course i had already summoned
mozilla.

Im currently starting up a second test on an AMD 400 with 80 mb of RAM,
512 mb of swap and using ext2 as the primary filesystem.