sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OT: static binaries

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OT: static binaries
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:19:18 +0200

On 19/07/02 16.29, Dufflebunk wrote:
> Not sure where I should ask this, so feel free to redirect me elsewhere
> :)
> I want to make some static binaries of stuff I have installed. As in
> shmush in the libraries (.so's?) and stuff into the executable. I've
> googled for info on this and haven't had any luck. Does anyone here know
> how I might do this?

It might be helpfull to look at linux from scratch. Their entire first
stage (ok, second stage if you count the binary host system) is done
static.

A good place to start might be
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/3.3/chapter05/whystatic.html
where it is explained, and for syntax check the rest of chapter 5.

Drifting further of topic, might it be beneficial, some time in the
far future, to enable sorcery to build static binaries in non-standard
locations, for boot-cd/disk, custom system, chroot or other uses?

As far as I can say all one would need would be a number of vars in
sorcery scripts for setting paths and stuff (like STATIC=on or
whatever), and then the grimoire fixed to use those instead of
hardcoded strings... (OK, this would be a huge task... Not tonight ;-)

Anyway, got a catch some Zs, hope the first part helps.

/dossen