sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] md5 / license fields

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: julian AT openit.de (Julian v. Bock)
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] md5 / license fields
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 17:35:13 +0200

Hi

I was going to add md5 and license fields sooner or later to my
sections. However, it seems that nobody actually knows what to do.

There are at least 3 different formats for md5sums in the grimoire,
and the format described in the grimoire gurus handbook does not
support multiple source files.

It is not specified what to do with spells which are released under
more than one license, or which contain parts that are released under
different licenses.

Is anything of the md5 / license stuff already implemented in sorcery?
If not, we should take a breath and start thinking first how to do
things before maintainers dig through hundreds of spells for nothing.

Furthermore, I asked some time ago why / whether someone decided to
compute the checksums of the _compressed_ tarballs. This breaks the
fuzzy downloading and the (not yet implemented) automatic bzip2
recompression of tarballs (note that some people recompress the
tarballs manually). I did not get a single answer, and I don't know a
single reason why we should do this.

Please clarify these points.

Julian