seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] OT - onion transplants

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Teresa H. Ebie" <teresaebie@earthlink.net>
  • To: <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] OT - onion transplants
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:27:41 -0700

Thanks for your advice, Toni, I'll try that.
Teresa

Teresa,
How frustrating! I have onions started, and they do fine in a cold
spot WITH light. If you have such a place, i would plant them in pots -
or "heel them in" with some planting medium and a box planter -to hang
out until safe to plant time. My basement easily gets into the 30's at
the coldest times, but my alliums do not complain, as they are growing
from seedlings there right now. Tho i start the seed over heat, they
don't stay there after initial germination - but reside and grow on cold
windowsills down there.
Good luck - and thankfully onions are alot more forgiving than other
things!
Toni - no expert