seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] seeking Raspberry starts and Alpine Strawb seed Everbearing heirloom blackberry (unknown variety)

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] seeking Raspberry starts and Alpine Strawb seed Everbearing heirloom blackberry (unknown variety)
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 23:57:54 -0500

tonitime@juno.com wrote:

Hi,
I'm also seeking Raspberry cuttings, preferably some rooted and also
Alpine Strawberry seed.

I am looking for those also.

I have alot of good natives around here to choose from, many perennial
bloomers, horseradish, comfrey, mixed iris, wild mosses, and various culinary herbs
to trade for them.
Toni in KY

I am interested in comfrey and horseradish. And Jerusalem artichoke.

I have what may be an heirloom everbearing blackberry, unnamed variety
I got from an oldtimer gardener near Burlington NC. Its a better berry than
the wild variety.
I will have some rooted sprouts of these for trade as soon as they appear and
can be dug.
Question: is the everbearing trait common among any modern commercial
varieties or is this
something you see in old varieties?

This is a neat plant with relatively compact growth and less problematic
briers. The berries
get fairly big and are tart and sweet with good flavor, really better than
the wild.

Are there any special glowes available for picking blackberries that resist
puncture and snagging.
If so this would make harvest go much faster, a good thing when the plants
are bearing well.
The berries seem to be layered on branches on the outside and one or two
branching levels within.