scythe - Re: [scythe] Sources for scythes and accessories in North America

scythe AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Scythes & Scything

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Scythes & Scything <scythe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [scythe] Sources for scythes and accessories in North America
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 17:02:55 -0400

On 6/5/2010 1:58 PM, Chad Knepp wrote:
Botan's site is the Minnesota one @
<http://www.onescytherevolution.com/> but is currently closed for mail
order due to this being the busy season. In terms of US suppliers,
I'd recommend him way over Scythe Supply who are very nice folks but
have fairly consistently shipped incorrectly fitted rigs to myself and
friends, also the Swiss and Canadian snaths incorporate a lot of
Peter's ideas and are much nicer/ergonomic than the Scythe Supply one.

But Scythe Supply has a way better selection of blades, some quality ones made in the 70's. I own all of the ones they offer and more and an even wider range of them I bought from Peter and Kai.

I think highly of Scythe Supply having known Eliot its founder
(he did all the art on their website - he was also a sign painter);
he sort of got the ball rolling or revived Austrian scythe use in the USA at a time when it was much needed. (picked up where Green River Tools and Smith & Hawken left off).

I agree with you about the snaths. That Swiss snath is the one to have
unless you make your own. 1SR also offers the natural whetstones; they are excellent. I need to buy one more. Persimmon wood (a branch) is really tough and dense and might make a good snath though will probably be heavier than an ash. I own one of the metal snaths offered by both companies, is is good but heavy.

Also Lehmans<http://www.lehmans.com/> is now selling a Canadian
snath similar to the Vido's modeled by Ashley (?).

Couldn't find any snaths there; do you have a URL?