pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] The second most common Pleurothallis in my ranch

  • From: "marcusadriana" <marcusadriana@mls.com.br>
  • To: <pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] The second most common Pleurothallis in my ranch
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 03:11:23 -0300

Pleutothallis pruinosa

I do not know yet but as far as I can remember, the name was different because that is the first time I see this species (name and photo). I would say the big difference would be in the leaves which in "my" species is thinner; also "my" species has a long pseudo-caule that is, the leaves come far apart one of the other and is very difficult to grab it from the fallen trees because it break into pieces of three or four leaves per piece

Laughing I would say that "my" species could be more like a P. 'ruinosa', from 'ruin', so difficult is it to be transplant from its place in nature, being a frustrating experience and frequently loosing the plant. A good practice that I learned after loosing some plants is that it can be divided only into two new plants, because I have to place together at least half of the plant pieces in order for it to survive. Dividing fallen plants is a practice I have to populate all 'my' trees with at least one orchid at my eyes´ level. I think this practice, along these 14 years of made me move more than then ten thousand orchids. Bromeliads, cacti, ferns suffer from the same "practice" and fallen branches of trees remain clean of plants and are left nude to rotten in the forest floor for fungus, micro organisms and insects to live on and by it. This is a closer view I found in my archives - it´s a winter flowering plant.