pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Working on my first terrarium for Pleuros

  • From: Jennifer Hodes <hodesfamily@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Working on my first terrarium for Pleuros
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:29:02 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Aaron:

I don't really remember when I worked on my first terrarium for Pleuros, but my current setup is pictured in the attached photos (hope this works).  I use an "indoor greenhouse" that I got on special at Menards for $10.00.  The trays are rubbermaid or some such from Target ($3-4 each).  The air circulation provided by a clip-on fan from Big Lots ($3.99).  There is an old wet-bulb/dry-bulb hygrometer that I can't remember the price of (bought in the 60's).  I have egg-crate from Lowes in the bottom of the trays to keep pots up out of any condensation.  The egg crate is fairly expensive, more than $10.00 per 4'x8' sheet.  The humidity is supplied by an Alpine "The Fogger" $24.95 meant for use in "atmospheric" fountains or ponds.  It is in an old plastic tub and I use R/O water so I don't have to clean the element constantly and so it lasts longer.  I also use a unit that regulates the amount of mist, but this is not essential.  The mister is on a timer, on-an-hour-off-an-hour when lights are on, on-an-hour-off-two-hours when the lights are off.  The 2 bulb, 4 foot shop light (every one must have a couple of these rusting in the garage or basement) is held on a glass shelf on bookshelf standards attached to the window frame.  Whole unit sits in a heavily shaded West-facing window.

image/pjpeg

image/pjpeg