pleurothallid-l - Re: [pleurothallid-l] Lights and Bonsai

  • From: "Stephan Patnaude" <stephanpatnaude@gmail.com>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pleurothallid-l] Lights and Bonsai
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:03:41 -0400

For the growing case - I recomend better ventilation. Add fans and open up
the covers. This means you may have to water more often.

Putting an ultrasonic humidifier within the case connected to a
humidistat lets you experiment with different air exchange rates and
still keep up with humidity requirements.
As a bonus, the humidfier also cools the case so the more air you
exchange, the more water the humidifier evaporates and the cooler the
case becomes. Some days I run through two gallons of water in my 12
cubic foot case but whenever I've tried to cut back on the air
exchange, I see a bit of black spot especially on an astuta.

Disclaimer: I'm new at this and orchids in my care are correctly
described as at risk.

Any other members of this group also dabble in bonsai? What species do you
like as
bonsai accents?

I'm partial to Bougainvillea as bonsai and would like to try one in my
Cattleya case. I'd like to find something to grow with my Draculas
when they move to their larger home, perhaps a Serissa of some sort.
Suggestions are most welcome.