pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Lights and Bonsai

  • From: leo.schordje@degussa.com
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Lights and Bonsai
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:24:43 -0400

I have not used them personally but a local orchid society member tried the
LED lights and gave up on them. The plants did not do well. He was a Paph
grower. Take this second hand information for what it is worth. Due to the
report, I will wait on trying LED until I start hearing positive reports
from people.

For the growing case - I recomend better ventilation. Add fans and open up
the covers. This means you may have to water more often.

If the space you want to light is not a standard dimension, try
http://www.ahsupply.com/ for fixtures. I agree with Steven, a mix of 3000K
and 6000K lamps would be best. The number, such as 3000K is a description
of the color of the light, expressed as a temperature. Complicated, but
just go with it. The 3000K lamp will be a little bit orange, the 6000K
will be a little bit blue. The comination will give you peak outputs in red
and blue.

Kusamono Bonsai - Accent Plants

I am exhibiting a Dryadella edwallii at a bonsai show this weekend. MABA
Convention, Milwakee WI. The Dryadella is NOT in bloom, it is in a 2 inch
mame pot and looks very nice, very much like one of the miniature sedge or
grass plantings that Bonsai people use. The Dryadella will be used as an
accent plant for a larger tree. Also using a Promanea in bloom as an
accent plant. The trick with using orchids as accent plants for bonsai is
that if the flowers are too gaudy, they detract from the display. Those
brown flowered Pleurothallids are perfect. Nice and subdued. Any other
members of this group also dabble in bonsai? What species do you like as
bonsai accents?

Leo Schordje