pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Great stuff Lyn!

  • From: Ron Maunder <pondeeza@enternet.co.nz>
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Great stuff Lyn!
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 08:54:00 +1300

That was great. Thanks Lyn. Just what I was hoping for. I'm sure your observations will make us stop and think a lot more about our cultural methods.

I'll leave it to others to ask you some questions for now. You will be extra busy getting those LSU's (life support units!) altered and installed for your new plants. AND making room for your 165 new babies! I suppose as a temporary measure you could hang them on wires overhead if you still have any head room available!

The cost to us here in New Zealand of getting to Ecuador is quite high but the cost of quarantining plants in special certified greenhouses for three months minimum is also considerable. Then there is the obtaining import permits and finding out if the particular species is here already or has been in the past. No open permits any more! If it hasn't been recorded here previously (and no national survey has ever been made!) then it can be &NZ75 to $NZ150 per plant to have it researched to see if it will ever become a plant pest and if it might carry some noxious pest, bacteria or fungus in its natural habitat! The thought of that almost always ends ones dreams of importing new plants! Someday I might venture to tell you all about the hassles of importing flasks into NZ - and exporting them! Seed? Well thats another story too!

Nasty weekend here in NZ weatherwise. We might not need all the LSU's you in North America need ALL the time but the heaters will be going on again for some of us! This last weekend we had gales, torrential rain and now snow! Not as bad as your Hurricane Isabel but main highways closed by slips and windblown trees, overnight freight plane down in the sea, woman washed away and thousands of new born lambs frozen to death! And I thought it was officially Spring here!

Its dawned sunny and calm out there this morning with a very light touch of frost on the new cut grass. I'd better get out and prepare for a busload of Japanese orchid growers and my last show later in the week.

Cheers,

Ron Maunder New Zealand

  • [pleurothallid-l] Great stuff Lyn!, Ron Maunder, 10/05/2003