pleurothallid-l - [pleurothallid-l] Aquarium Project

  • From: Alden106@cs.com
  • To: pleurothallid-l@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pleurothallid-l] Aquarium Project
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:50:57 EDT

       Here is how the Aquarium Project is progressing.
I'm using a 38Gal Tank. 36" long 12" wide 20"tall I covered 3/4 of the top with 2 pieces of Lexan Plastic []from Lowes or Home Depot]
       I have one Muffin Fan 1600RPM could use a stronger one it runs constantly. From electronicsplus.com on Internet. They have all sizes and are already converted to 110V. Computer fans need to be rewired and " I no can do"
       I have one 24" Portable Grow Light Stick[ Walmart $10.] Time will tell if this is enough. I'm keeping it on 12 hours per day.
       I tried the Foggers that were suggested but had problems with motors burning out. I think the constant on and off with the timer was too much for the size of the motors. Tried Two. I now have a ReliOn Ultasonic Cool Mist Humidifier " 2Gal per day unit" Walmart" It sits on the OUTSIDE of the Tank and I piped the unit with 2" flexible plastic tubing using PVC fittings for bends and into The Humidifier opening. The 2" PVC almost fit the opening. I  had to wrap it with Duct Tape for a better seal. This unit is the only one I could find that had an opening that could be fit with a tube. I keep it on the lowest setting possible and have it on a timer. The Humidity stays at 90 percent when it is on. I am using Distilled Water and Have to fill the Humidifier every other day. I have ordered a RO System cheaper in the long run and I can water my other Orchids with better water.
       I have 3 Masd's and 3 Pleuro's in the Aquarium now and they are beginning to show new growth.
       More later.
Al