piw - PIW release 0.2.0 live on dev.permaculture.info

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg AT galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb AT lists.ibiblio.org, piw AT lists.ibiblio.org, scrub AT corrupt.net
  • Subject: PIW release 0.2.0 live on dev.permaculture.info
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 14:09:53 -0500

... available for your breaking pleasure. I tested most things again
and I can't find anything really broken yet, but I know this is a very
buggy release, it's just too new to not be.

Before you say anything, the formating is very rough I know. I'd
actually like for Bear to make me a long list of the way he would like
things, maybe as an issue, but certainly not individual issues (way too
many). Everything is highly flexible. Just tell me what order you
want things in, wrapped with <div/> this or that, etc. Also a lot of
the forms and text messages are terse to the point of being
unhelpful. Just send me what you want them to be... or work on it
yourself. All of the client pertinent code is either in
Eden/HTMLClient.py or Eden/client/*py and the various Eden/client/*py
modules are named things like Comment.py, Plant.py, etc containing
methods that deal specifically with those things. Many of these
methods do little more than return kfml/html strings so changing it is
very easy. Another thing for Bear is that the top and bottom html
snippets live in their own static files Eden/client/[head|tail].html
so changing them is pretty easy and independent of releases.

CVS info: The current release is tagged rel_0_2_0 so you can check it
out with 'cvs checkout -r rel_0_2_0 eden'. The database has also had
major changes and has the same release tag (cvs co -r rel_0_2_0
eden_db). Because everything is structurally so different I just
moved the old versions to eden_old and eden_db_old. I know this is
not a good practice, but it saved about an hour and a half of cvs add
this and cvs remove this etc. Remember 'export
$CVSROOT=/export/sunsite/users/pyg'.

Archives: Nice tar.gz files available here:
<http://permaculture.info/eden_0.2.0.tar.gz> &
<http://permaculture.info/eden_db_0.2.0.tar.gz>

My major TODOs that I can think of is to create an API document for
the server (Eden/Server.py and Eden/server/*py). Currently the stuff
in Eden/server/*py is mostly well documented but Eden/Server.py is
just a wrapper for these methods and not really easy to
read/understand other than getting a list of the methods possible.
After that implementation of other critical features (relationships,
etc.) then bug squashing, then 1.0 (yay)!

Cheers,
Chad

--
Chad Knepp
python -c 'import base64;print base64.decodestring("cHlnQGdhbGF0ZWEub3Jn")'