piw - Re: [piw] hello from ANdy Goldring at the Permaculture Association (Britain)

piw AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Permaculture Information Web

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson AT stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: Permaculture Information Web <piw AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [piw] hello from ANdy Goldring at the Permaculture Association (Britain)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:49:11 -0800

hello Martin,

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, for those that are joining this
discussion late, the intention is to mimic the ecological relationships
that the database portrays in all aspects of PIW - user interface,
information architecture, and otherwise. With regards to user interface,
we are considering the use of Graph-Based Interfaces (GBI's), which allow
the information to be displayed and interacted with in a web-like manner.
(To view a sophisticated application, please visit Thinkmap's Visual
Thesaurus at http://www.visualthesaurus.com/ and click on "try it
now...")

Regarding information architecture, I have been corresponding with the
Biomimicry folks about ways to model the database after a natural system
- exploring the manners in which nature organizes, stores, and retrieves
information so that we may 'biomimic' them. I am also corresponding with
folks involved in Ecosystem Information Engineering - a branch of
Industrial Ecology dedicated to information systems.

I will gladly report back to the group with whatever I find. And if you
have any specific suggestions on how to practice Biomimicry within the
design process, please let us know!

Thanks,
*Stephanie