person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Invitation to planting workdays at Veterans Memorial bee-friendly garden

  • From: Lynn S Wilson <wilsonls AT esinc.net>
  • To: Person County Beekeepers <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Undisclosed-recipients: <>;
  • Cc: Stan & Nena Morton <lsmorton AT esinc.net>, Susan J Hodges <susanjhodges AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Invitation to planting workdays at Veterans Memorial bee-friendly garden
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 10:49:40 -0400

Stan and Susan and I were delighted to be joined by Bob Brauer, Cecil White and Todd Walker ... and Kelvin Wilson on his front-end loader to make short work of the job of spreading 14 cubic yards of mulch at the Veterans Memorial pollinator garden on Friday, September 16.

We hope to purchase 214 plants and 400 bulbs between now and September 30!  We'll need your help to get them in the ground.

We want to plant the shrubs on Friday, September 30 followed by the perennials and bulbs on Monday, October 3 between 9 AM and noon each date.

Here's the planting formula!   Susan will arrive early and place plants exactly where they should be planted.
  • Pull the mulch back and dig a hole twice as wide and deep as the root ball.
  • Spread the roots out (or watch Susan demonstrate cutting the root ball if the plant is pot-bound).
  • Plants should be set in the ground at the same level as they were in the pot.
  • A mixture of one-third each of soil, perlite and compost may be used to fill the hole and complete the planting operation.
  • Water thoroughly.
If there is a delay or adverse weather is expected, I'll send an e-mail on September 29 before 8 PM so please check your e-mail.  Until then, hope for rain!

Shovels, trowels, work gloves, and water bottles will be helpful.

  • [PCBA] Invitation to planting workdays at Veterans Memorial bee-friendly garden, Lynn S Wilson, 09/18/2016