person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] What happened- Any thoughts on why?

  • From: James Latimer <pipesnc AT live.com>
  • To: "donnasteen AT yahoo.com" <donnasteen AT yahoo.com>, "person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org" <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] What happened- Any thoughts on why?
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:21:27 -0400

Donna,
I have been participating in the Colony loss study by Bee Informed.
http://beeinformed.org/results/colony-loss-2014-2015-preliminary-results/
(from the website)
Beekeepers do not only lose colonies in the winter but also throughout the summer, sometimes at significant levels. To quantify this claim of non-winter colony mortality of surveyed beekeepers, we have included summer and annual colony losses since 2010/2011. In the summer of 2014 (April – October), colony losses surpassed winter losses at 27.4% (totalsummer loss). This compares to summer losses of 19.8% in 2013. Importantly, commercial beekeepers appear to consistently lose greater numbers of colonies over the summer months than over the winter months, whereas the opposite seems true for smaller-scale beekeepers. Responding beekeepers reported losing 42.1% of the total number of colonies managed over the last year (total annual loss, between April 2014 and April 2015). This represents the second highest annual loss recorded to date.

There seems to be a trend of Colonies being lost over the Summer.  If my colonies are light, less than 50 pounds, I feed them.  I try to monitor if they are bringing in pollen and nectar of there own.  But even if they are, if the hive is light I feed.  I do not have extra supers on for honey until they have their own food stores.  So I am not feeding when I am collecting for honey.  Currently I have collected what honey I expect to get for this year and have noticed the hives getting lighter.  I am feeding.  I am expecting them to be able to take care of themselves as we near September, but if not I will feed.

(good chart of plant calendar for Western NC, note no nectar flow after mid-July)
http://www.mcdowellhoneybees.org/2013%20Files/WNCFloweringPlantsCalendar.pdf

Jamie