person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Fwd: Wolfpack's Waggle July 2015

  • From: Mary Deitz <mdeitz625 AT gmail.com>
  • To: LIST SERV <Person_County_Beekeepers_Association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Fwd: Wolfpack's Waggle July 2015
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:18:16 -0400

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: David R. Tarpy <drtarpy AT ncsu.edu>
Date: Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:13 PM
Subject: Wolfpack's Waggle July 2015
To: "David R. Tarpy" <drtarpy AT ncsu.edu>

Hi everyone,

Greetings from the NC State Apiculture Program, and I trust everyone’s summer has been going well. You can now access our latest issue of the our program's newsletter, the Wolfpack's Waggle, which can also be found as usual through:

This summer is as busy as it has ever been, and with the most colonies (~200) that we’ve ever had. James’ project on the collective decision-making process during queen rearing has been going well, and he will stay busy this fall and winter analyzing his many samples in the genetics lab. Mike’s projects using in vitro rearing continue to excel, although we’ve once again had some set backs with the instrumental insemination component of the breeding program. Margarita has been busy sampling native bees from all over the Triangle and making tremendous progress on her projects, and Hongmei continues to keep multiple balls in the air with the migratory stress project and others. It’s also been a busy time with travel, with David going to several beekeeper meetings, Hongmei going to Germany to learn microinjections, and Mike presently in Seattle for a bioinformatics workshop. We’re also fortunate to have two guest researchers in the lab, Igor de Mattos Medici from Brazil (see profile in April) and Danica Fine from the University of Pennsylvania. Danica has been doing her own undergraduate independent study on micronutrients in artificial diet and has been working hard since May.

I hope everyone else has been having a great bee season! Sincerely, David

David R. Tarpy
Professor and Extension Apiculturist
Department of Entomology, Campus Box 7613
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC  27695-7613
Join the new Beekeeper Education & Engagement System (BEES)Like us on FaceBook
Follow us on Twitter (@NCSUApiculture)

  • [PCBA] Fwd: Wolfpack's Waggle July 2015, Mary Deitz, 07/14/2015