person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] What happened- Any thoughts on why?

  • From: Janet Marron <johnsonmarron AT gmail.com>
  • To: person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [PCBA] What happened- Any thoughts on why?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 17:47:43 -0400

Ok my bees are gone.  They struggled from the get go.

I bought two new packages which arrived in late April. Neither hive drew out any wax despite being fed 1:1 sugar water. I installed the packages on a deep with a medium super on each because it was so late in the season I wanted them to have lots of room. They stayed in one super which had wax drawn by last year's colonies (which froze over the winter- my guess is that the bee ball's were too small). There was plenty of food left in the division board feeders but with dead bees floating in both feeders.

Thoughts on why they didn't make any wax?

Thanks for your help.

Janet