person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] PCBA minutes-Feb 21

  • From: Lelia Gentry <heartandhandsfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Lynn S Wilson <wilsonls AT esinc.net>
  • Cc: Person County Beekeepers <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] PCBA minutes-Feb 21
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:10:47 -0400

Would like some advice. I just found out that a friend of mine,
mother, lost her 2 bee hives. The bees were fine 10 days ago and now
almost all are dead. She has been feeding the winter. This same thing
happened 2 years ago. Told by state lab 2 years ago that bees died
from varroa mites.

So, my question, I got my 2 hives last spring. I was told I did not
need to treat for varroa the first season since bees treated prior to
delivery. So, should I treat now before nectar flow? My hives seem
healthy. Should I do sticky board?

Thanks ahead of time. Lelia