person_county_beekeepers_association - [PCBA] Varroa Assessment

  • From: Inge Kautzmann <ibk AT imageray.net>
  • To: Lelia Gentry <heartandhandsfarm AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: PCBA <person_county_beekeepers_association AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [PCBA] Varroa Assessment
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 15:15:24 -0400

Title: Varroa Assessment
Lelia,

Before you make any decisions about treating it would be best to know your mite counts.

Sticky board tests are not reliable because they don’t give you an accurate assessment of the percentage of mites in your hive. I recommend that you do a sugar shake. If you have already done a sugar shake what was your mite count per 300 bees?

A 10% infestation is problem that needs addressing. This means that the numbers will vary throughout the year depending on the size and composition of the hive.

In the summer, for example, you are more likely to have an equal brood to adult bee ratio. Meaning that the number of mites you shake from the adult bees is at least the same number of mites you can’t see that are present in the capped brood. In this case 15 mites equals 10% for the overall hive composition.

In spring you may have more capped brood than adult bees so in this case 7 1/2 mites might equal 10%

Here’s a link for more information.
Standardized Sampling Plan to Detect Varroa Density in Colonies and Apiaries http://www.extension.org/mediawiki/files/6/6d/Standardized_Varroa_Sampling_Bees.pdf

-Inge