permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Who is Reading this List

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Christopher Nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Who is Reading this List
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2022 01:32:17 +0000

Nice to hear from you, Lawrence and also Skeeter, my Permaculture Teacher!

I am still here. I miss Toby Hemenway, a lot. He brought so much to the
group, not just his encyclopedic knowledge, but his even demeanor and
conciliatory ways. He would wade in and offer the final word on any argument
because he was so well reasoned and even handed. I was also sad when Wesley
Roe left the group. He got pretty comprehensively shit on for raising funds
to help people from developing nations, including myself, get to the IPC in
India, and shortly after that he bowed out.

I have been busy, working in active climate change mitigation and adaption,
degraded land repair, and recently as a consultant with an EU funded project
working with with indigenous farmers on the border who have collapsed soils
from export based milpa. They have completely lost their traditional
knowledge, displaced by a combination of indoctrination in agrochemical
thinking and the transgenerational displacement and trauma of Guatemala's
civil war, where the "older heads" as we say in Belize, were murdered or
died, or whose place-based understanding of good practice was displaced with
them.

We are using agroforestry as tools to rebuild soils and for food security,
with a heavy emphasis on "pioneer species" to boost food security. If they do
not do this, their community will likely be abandoned as their maie
production dropped by >90%.

I am working on a project, and the thinking behind the project is outlined in
the link below. It is the sort of thing that years ago I would have written
on this list! My freind, Albert Bates, suggested I print it..

https://medium.com/@christopherN/multistrata-agroforestry-systems-and-biochar-for-food-security-climate-change-mitigation-and-975eceb0f35c
[https://miro.medium.com/max/1200/0*z08z_z8kkVlregvT]<https://medium.com/@christopherN/multistrata-agroforestry-systems-and-biochar-for-food-security-climate-change-mitigation-and-975eceb0f35c>
Multistrata Agroforestry Systems and Biochar for Food Security, Climate
Change Mitigation and Adaption | by Christopher Nesbitt | Jun, 2022 |
Medium<https://medium.com/@christopherN/multistrata-agroforestry-systems-and-biochar-for-food-security-climate-change-mitigation-and-975eceb0f35c>
Multistrata agroforestry system with varied yields of food, fiber, fodder,
marketable and medicinal crops that retains soil and soil moisture, creates
habitat and sequesters carbon
medium.com

Other than that, We are well. The pandemic has been good for us. We have
closed to students and focus on farm work instead of hosting students. We
have been blessed by a saint who was made aware of our work with the
Commonwealth who has assisted us and our work financially, which has been a
lifesaver. For the first time in my adult life, I have not had to overly
worry about money. That has been liberating.

I hope that you are all well.

Warmly,

Christopher

[cid:09fe9ede-13df-4ec1-8375-6dda3ffa074d]

_____________________________
Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm
San Pedro Columbia, Toledo